Saturday, June 28, 2008

Love letter from Dad #5

Dear Abe and Koh,

It's been some time now that you smile when you see me near the end of your day, and that's really nice ...I like coming home to those baby whites. Those open mouth kisses are pretty fun, too - are you being selective as you hand those out? I mean eventually you have to stop makin' out with at least each other.

Something really important just happened, though, and it made me recognize that what's going on between us is getting more serious ...for me anyway.

What's new and different is that you're paying attention to what I do and occasionally even what I say, and I have a feeling that this is a watershed I can't cross back over ever again; On the old side it just didn't matter too much what I was doing when you were around, but now I'm thinking maybe it really does.

You mock me. You listen closely to new words, even though you don't say any. You pay too close attention to what I do, then sometimes follow along. You signal certain bodily functions; Well, Abe, you think farts are funny. You know "no" or "no touch" by my tone; you've even cried after stern talk before. You like to tumble with me, body language at its best. You want to eat what I eat, drink what I drink. You still like banging your head on the window long after I showed you that move one day. You like face mashing with me. You pump-fake me with offers to share food.

Fading fast are the days I can do whatever and nobody notices. You notice, you copy, you might even be recording what I'm saying. Oh my, I have to be careful. I don't think we'll ever go back to the old days. I love you guys. -Dad

No comments: